Welcome to Our Blog! Our Story Starts Below...

Welcome to our blog! We set this up as an information hub about the progress of our little twin boys who were born on January 5, 2010. We along with our little boys first thank you so much for your love and support, and hope that this blog will give you an opportunity to follow their progress as they grow in the NICU at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton.

Our little boys had a harrowing journey to get here. They were born at 25 weeks and 6 days, which is needless to say, very early. Jared William, was born at 10:49 a.m. feet first, and on the bathroom floor of the delivery room. Anthony Michael was born at 11:30 via C-section after he decided that he wanted to come out hands first.

Our story started on Monday, January 4 after a doctor's appointment with Dr. Gray. Danielle had been feeling generally, "crappy" the day before and reported what sounded like some contractions. The doctor decided to send us across the street to the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. After a couple of hours in labor and delivery the staff confirmed a few contractions, but very far apart. Her cervix was not dilated and the babies were fine.

The doctor sent us home and told us to keep track of the contractions, and so long as they weren't less than 7 minutes apart there was no need for concern. The next morning Danielle started feeling contractions again, but this time they were about five minutes apart. She called the doctor who said to wait another hour and see if they went away.

I was just getting ready to walk out the door to work when Danielle had a contraction that just about doubled her over. Deciding something wasn't right, I called the doctor and said we were coming to the hospital.

On our way to the hospital Danielle was having severe pains in her lower back every three minutes. When we arrived at the hospital Danielle was hooked up to the machines which registered no contractions at all. The doctors and nurses did not think her pains were contractions but constipation. After several attempts to alleviate that Danielle went into the bathroom still having severe lower back pain.

After a minute, I heard a scream, and Danielle was screaming that her babies were coming out. The nurses came rushing, as did the doctor, but Jared was too impatient to wait. He was born on the bathroom floor. After Danielle was moved to the bed, Anthony wasn't so cooperative and an emergency C-section was performed.

The NICU unit was quick to respond and help the teenie little babies breathe and fight for life. Jared was 2lbs. 1oz. and was 13 and 1/2 inches long. Anthony was 1lb. 15oz. and was 13 inches long.

The whole thing was totally unexpected, and frankly more traumatic than happy. But we are blessed with two gorgeous little miracle babies!

Our boys came home to us on March 26, 2010, after spending 81 days or about 12 weeks in the NICU at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. As you may note from our previous posts below, the journey was not without its bumps in the road.

There were highs, and there were lows. We and the boys braved two laser eye surgeries, and countless other obstacles and scares. But, we never lost confidence in the medical team in the NICU, and always kept our faith that God would lead us through this time.

Our steadfastness paid off, because now the boys are happy and healthy at home! This of course brings with it a totally new set of challenges that we are exicted and eager to experience. The task of caring for twin newborns is a daunting one, but a welcome one.

So, just because the boys are now home, don't think the blogging will stop. It may not be as consistent as before, but we will do our best to keep you all updated on their progress, and give you a window into our lives raising twin boys.


Thursday, February 18, 2010

Small Changes and Steady Progress

Both boys are still doing well and we have a few changes to report.

Anthony weighs 3 lbs 2 oz. now and Jared weighs 2 lbs. 14 oz. I think we may be embarking on the growth spurt Dr. Kamran mentioned last week. Obvious by their weight gain, they are tolerating their feedings still and in fact, both have been increased in the last few days. Jared is now eating 22 cc every three hours and Anthony is eating 24 cc every three hours (to keep this in perspective 30 cc = 1 oz.).

On Sunday, Jared's nurse noticed a trace of blood in his residual breast milk that she removed prior to one of his feedings. She brought this to the attention of the doctor on duty and he prescribed Zantac once every 12 hours. Zantac is usually prescribed for ulcer related issues, which scared me at the time, however, they do not think Jared has any type of ulcer. After speaking with Dr. Kamran tonight, he assured us that this blood is quite common and can be commonly caused by irritation to the mucus lining of the throat and/or stomach by the insertion and removal of his feeding tube. The Zantac helps prevent the acid from attacking the irritated areas and allows them to heal.

Jared has also been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. According to Dr. Kamran, this is just one more issue common in premature babies. His hernia is very slight and is barely noticeable and sometimes is not visible at all. Dr. Kamran's plan is to keep an eye on it during the evaluations each day and if it is still occurring closer to the time that they go home, we will have a consultation with a pediatric surgeon at CHOC to discuss the course of action for him.

Both boys had their follow up eye exam today, and both did very well. Jared sucked on his pacifier the entire time, without a peep. The opthamologist said both are still looking good and he will schedule another follow up appointment in a week. So far, there is no sign of anything but prematurity, and let's pray this is the way it stays.

Other than these minor issues (hopefully) both boys are stable and are focusing on eating, pooping, sleeping, pooping on things and pooping us. Yes, that is right...there is a lot of poop between these two and no nurse or parent is safe from it!

We are able to hold them almost every time we visit now. I never thought the day would come when I could hold both of them at my desire. I get so excited to visit just for the chance to sit in the same chair (often until my butt goes numb) rocking and holding our boys. Even if they don't open their eyes to see me, I know that they know I am there for them. I just wish it could be all day everyday, although I am sure that day will come.

Jason surprised me with the cutest Valentine's Day gift from Jared and Anthony. When we went to visit them on Sunday they were both wearing white onesies with "Momma, will you be my valentine?" painted in red by Auntie Kellie. It was such a cute idea and so thoughtful of him. In fact, I think he won all of the nurses over. Everyone came over to tell me what a wonderful husband he was and how sweet it was for him to do that (as if I really needed someone to tell me this). So many Valentines, so little time: Jason, Jared, Anthony and Schnitzel. I love all of my boys! XOXO

Later that night, Jason and I went out to a nice dinner and stayed at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach. We stayed there the night of our wedding, so it was very special to us. Jason planned it all and felt that since our family has come full circle, it would be nice to visit where it all started when we got married. It was very nice to do something "normal." We don't usually do much to celebrate Valentine's Day, but since our free time is now spent in the NICU, we both appreciated the change of scenery but were missing the boys at the same time.

Both my mom and Jason's mom were able to hold Jared this weekend. Both of them cried and were so excited to hold him for the first time. He was happy as a clam in their arms and it was so precious to see the instant love. Anthony won't be left out, as I'm sure he will be next for each of them!

The nursery is almost finished. Auntie Kellie came today and helped me paint the crown moulding and the chair rail that will be installed tomorrow. Then, the furniture will be delivered on Saturday and all I have to do is put everything away (no small task!). I was so eager to get a plan for the nursery, I spent countless hours online looking for ideas and the perfect theme for our boys. After I decided on monkeys (brown and green color scheme), I was anxious to get the room done and ready for them, but they had different plans for me. I am starting to feel better about our progress and am getting nervous, anxious, excited, scared, happy and relieved to think that one day they will come home for the first time.

Jason and I attended a CPR class last night, although it was long, it wasn't quite as boring as Jason thought it would be. The instructor taught us a lot about prevention of dangers and so many things that, as first time parents, we hadn't thought of. They covered topics also unrelated to CPR that were very informative and helpful. I would definitely recommend a class like that to all parents and/or family members, no matter how many children you have.

Update on me: Jason and I went to visit Dr. Gray on Friday and all is looking good. Other than my stomach muscles still being sore and tender from the C-section, everything is healing well. He said that my abs may be sore for several more weeks and it may take me a while to be able to build up strength to get back to my normal activity level.

Thank you again, to all who follow this blog. We deeply appreciate your love and support. I often tell the boys how much they are loved, even by people they may never meet. One day they will understand.

Fight On! Little Fighters!! - Love Momma

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice to read that Jared and Anthony are doing well. Sounds like they are getting a handle on the eating bit, certainly the pooping bit! :-) It's good to know that their eyes seem to be OK. Keep growing stronger little guys!
    If you and Jason would like to connect with other parents of preemies, try visiting the March of Dimes community called Share Your Story: http://www.shareyourstory.org/