Welcome to Our Blog! Our Story Starts Below...

Welcome to our blog! We set this up as an information hub about the progress of our little twin boys who were born on January 5, 2010. We along with our little boys first thank you so much for your love and support, and hope that this blog will give you an opportunity to follow their progress as they grow in the NICU at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton.

Our little boys had a harrowing journey to get here. They were born at 25 weeks and 6 days, which is needless to say, very early. Jared William, was born at 10:49 a.m. feet first, and on the bathroom floor of the delivery room. Anthony Michael was born at 11:30 via C-section after he decided that he wanted to come out hands first.

Our story started on Monday, January 4 after a doctor's appointment with Dr. Gray. Danielle had been feeling generally, "crappy" the day before and reported what sounded like some contractions. The doctor decided to send us across the street to the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. After a couple of hours in labor and delivery the staff confirmed a few contractions, but very far apart. Her cervix was not dilated and the babies were fine.

The doctor sent us home and told us to keep track of the contractions, and so long as they weren't less than 7 minutes apart there was no need for concern. The next morning Danielle started feeling contractions again, but this time they were about five minutes apart. She called the doctor who said to wait another hour and see if they went away.

I was just getting ready to walk out the door to work when Danielle had a contraction that just about doubled her over. Deciding something wasn't right, I called the doctor and said we were coming to the hospital.

On our way to the hospital Danielle was having severe pains in her lower back every three minutes. When we arrived at the hospital Danielle was hooked up to the machines which registered no contractions at all. The doctors and nurses did not think her pains were contractions but constipation. After several attempts to alleviate that Danielle went into the bathroom still having severe lower back pain.

After a minute, I heard a scream, and Danielle was screaming that her babies were coming out. The nurses came rushing, as did the doctor, but Jared was too impatient to wait. He was born on the bathroom floor. After Danielle was moved to the bed, Anthony wasn't so cooperative and an emergency C-section was performed.

The NICU unit was quick to respond and help the teenie little babies breathe and fight for life. Jared was 2lbs. 1oz. and was 13 and 1/2 inches long. Anthony was 1lb. 15oz. and was 13 inches long.

The whole thing was totally unexpected, and frankly more traumatic than happy. But we are blessed with two gorgeous little miracle babies!

Our boys came home to us on March 26, 2010, after spending 81 days or about 12 weeks in the NICU at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. As you may note from our previous posts below, the journey was not without its bumps in the road.

There were highs, and there were lows. We and the boys braved two laser eye surgeries, and countless other obstacles and scares. But, we never lost confidence in the medical team in the NICU, and always kept our faith that God would lead us through this time.

Our steadfastness paid off, because now the boys are happy and healthy at home! This of course brings with it a totally new set of challenges that we are exicted and eager to experience. The task of caring for twin newborns is a daunting one, but a welcome one.

So, just because the boys are now home, don't think the blogging will stop. It may not be as consistent as before, but we will do our best to keep you all updated on their progress, and give you a window into our lives raising twin boys.


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Time really gets away from you!

Jason and I keep saying, "we really need to update the blog" but it seems that we never have time. It seems that we don't really have time for much these days...besides feeding and diapers.

Just like Jason suggested in his last post, I am loving every minute of it. I am so thankful to have Jared and Anthony home that I don't mind (too much) the lack of sleep. I love being able to feed them and cuddle them whenever they need it. It has been an interesting adjustment for both of us, but I thank God every day for blessing our lives with these two precious miracles.

We had another visit to the retinologist this week. Both boys are still doing well from the laser surgery. He is going to check them both again in 3 weeks and then refer us to a pediatric opthamologist. He was going to refer us after this visit, but told us that there is no harm in him checking their eyes again to make sure the laser really settled in well.

Good news from the pediatrician...Jared's cysts in his brain are showing improvement. We took him for a follow up head ultrasound last week and the pediatrician's office called us this week to say that the cysts are still improving. There is no sign of any other issues so they will repeat the ultrasound in three months.

We had to go to the hospital for Jared's ultrasound, which was great because we were able to stop in and see some of the NICU nurses. Nurse Mary even gave Jared his bottle since he was having his ultrasound during his normal feeding time and the boys (and Momma and Daddy) were able to say goodbye to Nurse Jay. He was out for a while before the boys left, and we were all sad about him not being there. He was Anthony's nurse pretty regularly at the beginning, as Mary was Jared's nurse...so it was like old times for the boys.

In addition to the visitors we have had over the past few weeks, Jason and I have been taking the boys on walks in the evenings and we went to the park with some of our neighbors today. It is great to get out and do things like that every once in a while as to prevent cabin fever :).

Yesterday was my due date and it was surprisingly a hard day for me. I told both Jared and Anthony how lucky we were to be able to meet them so early, but it was an emotional day that kept reminding me of the events on the day that they were born. I still feel tremendous guilt for the fact that they were born early and for everything that they endured in the first 3 months of their lives.

Jason is almost at the end of his leave and will be returning to work soon. That scares me to death. I am not sure why, exactly. Jason assures me that everything will be fine when he goes back to work, but it seems to be a daunting task. When the babies don't wake up starving at the same time, it is very easy for one of us to feed and diaper them both. But when they wake up at the same time, it is hard to get a grip. Deep down inside I know I will be fine, but the thought of it scares me at first. Jason has been a tremendous help while he has been home which has made the transition easier for all of us.

The boys are growing...not sure exactly how much they weigh since we don't weigh them every night like the nurses did in the NICU, but they are almost grown out of all of their preemie clothes and are wearing newborn size now. Most newborn clothes are still quite big on them, but we are certain they will grow into them soon. They have changed so much just in the few short weeks they have been home.

They both seem to have their fussy times and we are battling the spit up that is quite uncomfortable for them. They are doing better sleeping at night, but also have those times that they just need a hug...or a burp! Jason and I are adjusting just as Jared and Anthony are. Many people who have visited have asked how Schnitzel is adjusting: he is doing better each day. At first, he would wake up with us at every feeding, which made him very tired. He didn't quite know what to think of them, but now is getting used to having them around. This afternoon, I had them on the floor for some "tummy time" and Jason was watching them. When I came back in the room, both boys had scooted to the edge of the blanket and Schnitzel was laying right next to them. I am confident that they will be friends/brothers in no time.

Thank you again for all of your support. I continue to pray each night for each and every one of you who have supported us through everything. We couldn't have made it this far without you.

Fight on! Little Fighters!! - Love Momma


  1. I am so glad everything is going so well! I can remember when Jimmy had to go back to work...I cried a lot about it. It all worked out, I think the anticipation was worse than the real thing for me. I'm so excited that you posted for all of us. Thanks!

  2. Sounds like everything is going well for all of you! Glad to hear all of the great news and progression that the boys are making. We are thinking about you and the boys... can't wait to finally meet them. Thanks for the update:)

  3. It is great that you are sharing your anxieties and concerns about the boys, I know it has to help you to "talk" it out. You know I will be there for you and we will set some type of a schedule soon! Love you all and know those boys are in the BEST hands possible with you and Jason. GG Cora