Welcome to Our Blog! Our Story Starts Below...

Welcome to our blog! We set this up as an information hub about the progress of our little twin boys who were born on January 5, 2010. We along with our little boys first thank you so much for your love and support, and hope that this blog will give you an opportunity to follow their progress as they grow in the NICU at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton.

Our little boys had a harrowing journey to get here. They were born at 25 weeks and 6 days, which is needless to say, very early. Jared William, was born at 10:49 a.m. feet first, and on the bathroom floor of the delivery room. Anthony Michael was born at 11:30 via C-section after he decided that he wanted to come out hands first.

Our story started on Monday, January 4 after a doctor's appointment with Dr. Gray. Danielle had been feeling generally, "crappy" the day before and reported what sounded like some contractions. The doctor decided to send us across the street to the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. After a couple of hours in labor and delivery the staff confirmed a few contractions, but very far apart. Her cervix was not dilated and the babies were fine.

The doctor sent us home and told us to keep track of the contractions, and so long as they weren't less than 7 minutes apart there was no need for concern. The next morning Danielle started feeling contractions again, but this time they were about five minutes apart. She called the doctor who said to wait another hour and see if they went away.

I was just getting ready to walk out the door to work when Danielle had a contraction that just about doubled her over. Deciding something wasn't right, I called the doctor and said we were coming to the hospital.

On our way to the hospital Danielle was having severe pains in her lower back every three minutes. When we arrived at the hospital Danielle was hooked up to the machines which registered no contractions at all. The doctors and nurses did not think her pains were contractions but constipation. After several attempts to alleviate that Danielle went into the bathroom still having severe lower back pain.

After a minute, I heard a scream, and Danielle was screaming that her babies were coming out. The nurses came rushing, as did the doctor, but Jared was too impatient to wait. He was born on the bathroom floor. After Danielle was moved to the bed, Anthony wasn't so cooperative and an emergency C-section was performed.

The NICU unit was quick to respond and help the teenie little babies breathe and fight for life. Jared was 2lbs. 1oz. and was 13 and 1/2 inches long. Anthony was 1lb. 15oz. and was 13 inches long.

The whole thing was totally unexpected, and frankly more traumatic than happy. But we are blessed with two gorgeous little miracle babies!

Our boys came home to us on March 26, 2010, after spending 81 days or about 12 weeks in the NICU at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. As you may note from our previous posts below, the journey was not without its bumps in the road.

There were highs, and there were lows. We and the boys braved two laser eye surgeries, and countless other obstacles and scares. But, we never lost confidence in the medical team in the NICU, and always kept our faith that God would lead us through this time.

Our steadfastness paid off, because now the boys are happy and healthy at home! This of course brings with it a totally new set of challenges that we are exicted and eager to experience. The task of caring for twin newborns is a daunting one, but a welcome one.

So, just because the boys are now home, don't think the blogging will stop. It may not be as consistent as before, but we will do our best to keep you all updated on their progress, and give you a window into our lives raising twin boys.


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eye Appointment a Success!

On Monday we ventured back to Dr. Adrean's office for a follow up exam on the boys' eyes. All of the staff was delighted to see the boys and were shocked at their growth over just three short weeks. It is strange to us to hear the comments about how big they are getting because we don't seem to notice, as we see them everyday. We can only go by the size of the clothes or diapers to tell if they've grown.

Anyway, Dr. Adrean examined both boys and determined that all looked great with their eyes. So great in fact, that he released them to a pediatric opthamologist from here on out. The issue from here is long term effects of their prematurity on their eyesight. Some potential complications are near or farsightedness, loss of peripheral vision and cross-eyes. In all likelihood they would need glasses at some point anyway given that both Momma and Daddy use them. What we are concerned with is something like a loss of vision or crossed eyes. Any such issue though can be corrected and Dr. Adrean is not concerned. So, unless and until there is a reason for concern, we won't be.

Many have asked what the boys weight is. We don't know still. We are frustrated too because we are used to getting nightly updates on the issue from the NICU. Our next trip to the pediatrician is Monday so stay tuned for an update on weight and other health issues.

As a whole the boys are doing well. We are still working hard at getting a sleeping routine down for them. In general they seem to be sleeping much better between feedings. This of course is leading to more sleep for Momma especially. While the feedings continue around the clock, the boys have pretty much figured out what nighttime is for. Each baby still has a night or two a week where he won't sleep much, but in general things are moving forward, and that is good.

Developmentally it is such a crap shoot with them. They are four months old today, but are almost 6 weeks out of the NICU and only 3 weeks past their due date. A combination of these three ages are where they are supposed to be. While they are sleeping like 6 weekers, they began rolling over a few weeks back so in that case they are more advanced. We are hoping that the trip to the pediatrician on Monday gives good news that we can try to help them start sleeping through the night soon.

There really isn't much news to report. We are looking forward to an exciting week and weekend though. The boys are able to travel anywhere now and can be around crowds of people. Friday night we have a trip to Aunty Mare's to celebrate Uncle Gilbert and Aunty Stacie's birthdays. Saturday we travel to Aunt Lisa's house to celebrate Mother's Day with Momma's family and Sunday we have a party to attend to celebrate one of their great-great grandmother's 98th Birthday and then it is off probably to Grandma Liso's house to celebrate Mother's Day with Daddy's family.

Most importantly, Sunday is Momma's first Mother's Day. I know she is excited and so are her Boys (Daddy and Schnitz, included). We are so lucky to have her. She really is amazing and has taken to being a mother so flawlessly, that one would swear she was born to do it. I'm sure the boys have some gifts up their sleeves, and can't wait to show Momma how much she is loved and appreciated.

Thank you again for all of your love and support. We are truly blessed.

Fight On, Little Fighters!- Love Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment