Welcome to Our Blog! Our Story Starts Below...

Welcome to our blog! We set this up as an information hub about the progress of our little twin boys who were born on January 5, 2010. We along with our little boys first thank you so much for your love and support, and hope that this blog will give you an opportunity to follow their progress as they grow in the NICU at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton.

Our little boys had a harrowing journey to get here. They were born at 25 weeks and 6 days, which is needless to say, very early. Jared William, was born at 10:49 a.m. feet first, and on the bathroom floor of the delivery room. Anthony Michael was born at 11:30 via C-section after he decided that he wanted to come out hands first.

Our story started on Monday, January 4 after a doctor's appointment with Dr. Gray. Danielle had been feeling generally, "crappy" the day before and reported what sounded like some contractions. The doctor decided to send us across the street to the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. After a couple of hours in labor and delivery the staff confirmed a few contractions, but very far apart. Her cervix was not dilated and the babies were fine.

The doctor sent us home and told us to keep track of the contractions, and so long as they weren't less than 7 minutes apart there was no need for concern. The next morning Danielle started feeling contractions again, but this time they were about five minutes apart. She called the doctor who said to wait another hour and see if they went away.

I was just getting ready to walk out the door to work when Danielle had a contraction that just about doubled her over. Deciding something wasn't right, I called the doctor and said we were coming to the hospital.

On our way to the hospital Danielle was having severe pains in her lower back every three minutes. When we arrived at the hospital Danielle was hooked up to the machines which registered no contractions at all. The doctors and nurses did not think her pains were contractions but constipation. After several attempts to alleviate that Danielle went into the bathroom still having severe lower back pain.

After a minute, I heard a scream, and Danielle was screaming that her babies were coming out. The nurses came rushing, as did the doctor, but Jared was too impatient to wait. He was born on the bathroom floor. After Danielle was moved to the bed, Anthony wasn't so cooperative and an emergency C-section was performed.

The NICU unit was quick to respond and help the teenie little babies breathe and fight for life. Jared was 2lbs. 1oz. and was 13 and 1/2 inches long. Anthony was 1lb. 15oz. and was 13 inches long.

The whole thing was totally unexpected, and frankly more traumatic than happy. But we are blessed with two gorgeous little miracle babies!

Our boys came home to us on March 26, 2010, after spending 81 days or about 12 weeks in the NICU at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. As you may note from our previous posts below, the journey was not without its bumps in the road.

There were highs, and there were lows. We and the boys braved two laser eye surgeries, and countless other obstacles and scares. But, we never lost confidence in the medical team in the NICU, and always kept our faith that God would lead us through this time.

Our steadfastness paid off, because now the boys are happy and healthy at home! This of course brings with it a totally new set of challenges that we are exicted and eager to experience. The task of caring for twin newborns is a daunting one, but a welcome one.

So, just because the boys are now home, don't think the blogging will stop. It may not be as consistent as before, but we will do our best to keep you all updated on their progress, and give you a window into our lives raising twin boys.


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Laser Eye Surgery a Success!

Anthony's surgery went well on Wednesday evening! He woke up right away and has had no brady or de-sat spells since. After Jared's episode, nurse Imelda asked Jason and I to whisper to Anthony to wake up easier than his brother did last week...turns out he listened.

Jared had his follow up eye exam today and Dr. Adrean saw no progression since the surgery, which means the laser treatment did exactly what it was supposed to. Jared is in the clear and will require a recheck in about 7-10 days.

With that being said, I am sure you are wondering when they will come home. As of right now, Jared is OK to come home on Thursday, however if Anthony stays stable they may send both boys home together on Friday. That is what we are praying for. Everything is still up in the air so we don't have any definitive answer yet, it all depends on how Anthony does through the night. But pray for strength for him!

We never thought we would see the day that we would be saying "Goodbye" to some of the nurses in the NICU in case we didn't see them again before we left. But that is what we did tonight. All of the doctors and nurses (both NICU and Labor&Delivery) have become a part of our lives. So eager about the boys status and growth, it will be hard to say goodbye. At the same time, Jason and I are looking for some much needed time at home. Even if it includes lack of sleep, we are eager to not have to rush off to the NICU every night after dinner.

Thank you again for all of your love, prayers and support on this roller coaster ride we have been on. The blog will definitely continue once they come home, so we will be able to share their growth with all of you who have stood by our side (via the web) through all of this. We cannot thank you enough.

Fight On! Little Fighters!!

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah !!! Hurrah !!!! The fight goes on to the next step. God is good and God is great and prayers have answers. Love you guys, GG Cora