Welcome to Our Blog! Our Story Starts Below...

Welcome to our blog! We set this up as an information hub about the progress of our little twin boys who were born on January 5, 2010. We along with our little boys first thank you so much for your love and support, and hope that this blog will give you an opportunity to follow their progress as they grow in the NICU at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton.

Our little boys had a harrowing journey to get here. They were born at 25 weeks and 6 days, which is needless to say, very early. Jared William, was born at 10:49 a.m. feet first, and on the bathroom floor of the delivery room. Anthony Michael was born at 11:30 via C-section after he decided that he wanted to come out hands first.

Our story started on Monday, January 4 after a doctor's appointment with Dr. Gray. Danielle had been feeling generally, "crappy" the day before and reported what sounded like some contractions. The doctor decided to send us across the street to the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. After a couple of hours in labor and delivery the staff confirmed a few contractions, but very far apart. Her cervix was not dilated and the babies were fine.

The doctor sent us home and told us to keep track of the contractions, and so long as they weren't less than 7 minutes apart there was no need for concern. The next morning Danielle started feeling contractions again, but this time they were about five minutes apart. She called the doctor who said to wait another hour and see if they went away.

I was just getting ready to walk out the door to work when Danielle had a contraction that just about doubled her over. Deciding something wasn't right, I called the doctor and said we were coming to the hospital.

On our way to the hospital Danielle was having severe pains in her lower back every three minutes. When we arrived at the hospital Danielle was hooked up to the machines which registered no contractions at all. The doctors and nurses did not think her pains were contractions but constipation. After several attempts to alleviate that Danielle went into the bathroom still having severe lower back pain.

After a minute, I heard a scream, and Danielle was screaming that her babies were coming out. The nurses came rushing, as did the doctor, but Jared was too impatient to wait. He was born on the bathroom floor. After Danielle was moved to the bed, Anthony wasn't so cooperative and an emergency C-section was performed.

The NICU unit was quick to respond and help the teenie little babies breathe and fight for life. Jared was 2lbs. 1oz. and was 13 and 1/2 inches long. Anthony was 1lb. 15oz. and was 13 inches long.

The whole thing was totally unexpected, and frankly more traumatic than happy. But we are blessed with two gorgeous little miracle babies!

Our boys came home to us on March 26, 2010, after spending 81 days or about 12 weeks in the NICU at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. As you may note from our previous posts below, the journey was not without its bumps in the road.

There were highs, and there were lows. We and the boys braved two laser eye surgeries, and countless other obstacles and scares. But, we never lost confidence in the medical team in the NICU, and always kept our faith that God would lead us through this time.

Our steadfastness paid off, because now the boys are happy and healthy at home! This of course brings with it a totally new set of challenges that we are exicted and eager to experience. The task of caring for twin newborns is a daunting one, but a welcome one.

So, just because the boys are now home, don't think the blogging will stop. It may not be as consistent as before, but we will do our best to keep you all updated on their progress, and give you a window into our lives raising twin boys.


Friday, January 15, 2010

A Good Couple of Days

Cousin Tori and USC's Matt Barkley Add Some Flair to the Boys' Homes

Jared Conked Out

Anthony With No CPAP!

The boys have had a nice couple of days. They have both been relatively stable over the last 48 hours or so which is great.

Jared finished his last round of Ibuprofen for his PDA. Sadly we got the news tonight from Dr. Patel that the ductus did not close with the medication. This really doesn't surprise me since the prognosis was about 50-60% with the medication in the first place.

It did go from large to moderate though, and that is good. A few days ago the doctors felt that the large PDA was affecting his breathing. Today however, the doctors feel that the PDA is not clinically affecting him. This buys us some time because it looks as if surgery to fix the PDA of both boys is on the horizon. The good news is that the longer we can wait the better it is for both of them.

The backup rate on Jared's CPAP machine was shut off today. This means that the CPAP is only supplying oxygen, and all of the breathing is being done by Jared himself. Since the backup rate has been turned off Jared has done well. His oxygen saturation in the blood has been between 98-100% continuously. Dr. Patel thinks that tomorrow he will take the CPAP off completely and Jared will be on the nasal cannula only, like his brother. When this happens Jared will probably get his first taste of Momma's milk. This "trophic" feed will consist of 1cc every 6 hours to start, just like Anthony.

Hot off the press: Jared just peed on his night nurse during a diaper change. I guess it was a good one because she had to change her shirt afterwards. Their weenies may be tiny at this point, but they seem to get good distance so far.

Anthony is doing well too. He remains on the nasal cannula and off the light therapy. It is so great to see his face! His PDA as far as we know is still open, but like his brother it does not seem to be hampering him. So, we remain in a "wait-and-see" mode with it. The nurses say they cannot hear his murmur (PDA), but only an echocardiagram can confirm for sure if the ductus is closed. In any event, so long as the ductus does not affect him, surgery remains some distance away.

Feedings for Anthony are going great so far. He is now on a "four point protocol." Every four feeds the amount is increased while the I.V. food is decreased. At 2 a.m. tonight his food intake increases to 5cc. Let's hope he keeps it down.

Up to this point he has kept all of his food down. He has had a couple of spit-ups, but nothing out of the ordinary according to the NICU staff. An encouraging sign is that there is no residual food in his belly after feeds, which means he is digesting the food they are giving him. Perhaps more encouraging is that he had another nice poop today. I told the nurses that he's a Liso, so eating shouldn't be a problem for either of the boys. Check back in 16 years when they are in high school on that issue.

I must say, the feedings to me seem to be really making an impact on Anthony. It has really added color to him, and seemed to liven him up and strengthen him. I don't know how much affect it has had on his stability since he's been pretty stable the last few days, but I just have this feeling that he is going to really turn a corner now that the feedings are going well. I hope they continue to go well, and he starts gaining some weight.

I think Jared learned the peeing thing from his brother. We were told that Anthony peed on his day nurse twice yesterday. Says grandpa, "You're just like your Father." I guess what goes around comes around, and everything we ever did to our parents comes back to us double. For me, I think that is obviously true. So for now I'm glad they haven't peed on Daddy, though I suspect my day will come.

So, there's not much to report over the last 48 hours. No news is the best news for us. This journey has really taxed Danielle and I so far. We cling to the positive news and remain hopeful that they get stronger. We are always on guard for the steps backward, and pray our boys keep moving forward.

We are taking things one day at a time. The last two have been good, but tomorrow is always a new day. We are keeping our faith in God, and ask every day that he watch out for our boys. They continue to fight, and will continue to fight, and Momma and Daddy will continue to be there behind them the whole way.

Fight On, Little Fighters! - Love Daddy


  1. So glad to hear that the past couple of days have been good!! Way to fight little guys!

  2. Glad to hear they are doing so well. I love the pictures...they are such cute little guys!

  3. They are so cute! Sounds like they are hanging in there. Glad to hear the good news:) Thanks for the updates

  4. Hurrah, Hurrah! Love the good news. And Mommy and Daddy, make sure you get enough rest now 'cause you day is coming and it sounds like maybe sooner than later. Love you guys, Grandma Cora