Welcome to Our Blog! Our Story Starts Below...

Welcome to our blog! We set this up as an information hub about the progress of our little twin boys who were born on January 5, 2010. We along with our little boys first thank you so much for your love and support, and hope that this blog will give you an opportunity to follow their progress as they grow in the NICU at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton.

Our little boys had a harrowing journey to get here. They were born at 25 weeks and 6 days, which is needless to say, very early. Jared William, was born at 10:49 a.m. feet first, and on the bathroom floor of the delivery room. Anthony Michael was born at 11:30 via C-section after he decided that he wanted to come out hands first.

Our story started on Monday, January 4 after a doctor's appointment with Dr. Gray. Danielle had been feeling generally, "crappy" the day before and reported what sounded like some contractions. The doctor decided to send us across the street to the hospital just to make sure everything was okay. After a couple of hours in labor and delivery the staff confirmed a few contractions, but very far apart. Her cervix was not dilated and the babies were fine.

The doctor sent us home and told us to keep track of the contractions, and so long as they weren't less than 7 minutes apart there was no need for concern. The next morning Danielle started feeling contractions again, but this time they were about five minutes apart. She called the doctor who said to wait another hour and see if they went away.

I was just getting ready to walk out the door to work when Danielle had a contraction that just about doubled her over. Deciding something wasn't right, I called the doctor and said we were coming to the hospital.

On our way to the hospital Danielle was having severe pains in her lower back every three minutes. When we arrived at the hospital Danielle was hooked up to the machines which registered no contractions at all. The doctors and nurses did not think her pains were contractions but constipation. After several attempts to alleviate that Danielle went into the bathroom still having severe lower back pain.

After a minute, I heard a scream, and Danielle was screaming that her babies were coming out. The nurses came rushing, as did the doctor, but Jared was too impatient to wait. He was born on the bathroom floor. After Danielle was moved to the bed, Anthony wasn't so cooperative and an emergency C-section was performed.

The NICU unit was quick to respond and help the teenie little babies breathe and fight for life. Jared was 2lbs. 1oz. and was 13 and 1/2 inches long. Anthony was 1lb. 15oz. and was 13 inches long.

The whole thing was totally unexpected, and frankly more traumatic than happy. But we are blessed with two gorgeous little miracle babies!

Our boys came home to us on March 26, 2010, after spending 81 days or about 12 weeks in the NICU at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton. As you may note from our previous posts below, the journey was not without its bumps in the road.

There were highs, and there were lows. We and the boys braved two laser eye surgeries, and countless other obstacles and scares. But, we never lost confidence in the medical team in the NICU, and always kept our faith that God would lead us through this time.

Our steadfastness paid off, because now the boys are happy and healthy at home! This of course brings with it a totally new set of challenges that we are exicted and eager to experience. The task of caring for twin newborns is a daunting one, but a welcome one.

So, just because the boys are now home, don't think the blogging will stop. It may not be as consistent as before, but we will do our best to keep you all updated on their progress, and give you a window into our lives raising twin boys.


Saturday, January 9, 2010

Momma and Daddy head home

It is a very emotional day for us as we prepare to go home without our little miracles. Although we are both anxious to get back to our own bed, shower, and of course the twins' big brother Schnitzel, I am not sure how I will be able to walk out the doors and leave them here. I am struggling already with the fact that I have not been able to hold them or kiss them or snuggle them the way a mother should her newborn babies. It is amazingly difficult to leave them in the hands of strangers. I just imagine how scared they are and how much they want their parents to comfort them.
With all of this selfish emotion, I also understand that I am incapable of giving them the care that they require at this time. I was only able to help them grow when they were inside of me, but I have to leave it to the experts now that they have entered this world. I keep praying that God watches over when I am unable to be here to hold their tiny little hands.
We are on our way to visit them, Jason will post their updates soon.

Fight On Little Fighters!! Love Momma


  1. I'm sorry you guys have to head home already...I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. The nurses will be taking good care of them and helping them get strong enough to go home. Take care of yourselves. We are thinking about you and your family.

  2. It's "GG" Cora keeping updated with this blog. I know how hectic it has been and know what great parents you already are! I am so proud of both of you for how you maintained a smooth appearance through this 'ordeal' to have these cutie pies!(Which we will all get to share and enjoy) I think about the whole situation often and know that a power greater than any of us is watching over these lil fighters. I too shall end with Fight On Little Fighters!! Love you all, Grandma Cora